A prominent Scottish butcher has launched a campaign for the US to legalise haggis, as the Tartan Army prepares to head across the Atlantic for the World Cup.
US federal food regulations on offal have effectively banned haggis since 1971, preventing Scottish producers from exporting it.
Simon Howie Butchers, based in Perthshire, is spearheading a petition to “make haggis legal again”. The initiative will also be fronted by Scottish broadcaster and journalist Gordon Smart. Football fans travelling to the US are being supplied with flags emblazoned with “no haggis, no party”.
Simon Howie said: “Scotland football fans are widely recognised as the best in the world and they are about to make the trip of a lifetime, but they’ll be doing it without access to their national dish.
“With such warmth and long-standing affinity between Americans and Scots, we’re appealing to the USA to embrace this delicious delicacy and ‘make haggis legal again’.”
Smart said: “For Scotland fans, summer 2026 is going to be a trip we’ll never forget. We’ll have the flags, the songs and the scarves, and if this petition has anything to do with it, we’ll have the haggis too.
“Simon Howie is fighting for every Scot and honorary Scot out there, so let’s get behind the campaign and make history on and off the pitch.
“Because after all, if there’s no haggis, there’s no party.”
The traditional Scottish dish has been prohibited by the US since 1971 as it contains sheep lungs.
The US embassy in London has been approached for comment.
Last week Steve Clarke hailed the Tartan Army as the acceptable face of Scottish football fans in the aftermath of another unsavoury pitch invasion at club level.
Celtic fans flooded out of the stands after the Hoops scored the third goal in their 3-1 home win over Hearts on Saturday which clinched the William Hill Premiership title.
There was another Celtic pitch invasion when Martin O’Neill’s side scored a late penalty winner at Motherwell and there is an on-going investigation into unseemly scenes at the end of the Old Firm Scottish Gas Scottish Cup tie at Ibrox in March, where fans from both sides came out of the stands.
Scotland qualified for the World Cup finals for the first time since 1998 with the most dramatic 4-2 win over Denmark in November, but Clarke noted that the Scots fans stayed in their seats to celebrate.
Speaking at Hampden after naming his World Cup squad, he said: “That (Denmark game) just shows that you can enjoy yourself without going out on the pitch.
“There is no need for people to be on the pitch.
“The reputation of the Tartan Army and the Scottish fans is well known worldwide.
“Even over the disappointment in Germany (2024 European Championship), the Tartan Army were top supporters.
“They made a lot of friends in Germany and I’m sure they will make more friends over in the States.
“I think the international scene is separate from the domestic scene so the feel-good factor is around the international team.
“The way the league season ended with the scenes on Saturday at Celtic Park was not good for Scottish football.
“It’s a bad look that doesn’t do anybody any favours. It’s much better that people celebrate but stay where they should stay.
“People invading the pitch is not right because player safety is endangered. That is not correct – anywhere.
“On the pitch is the players’ place of work. People should not go on the pitch, it’s quite clear.”
Clarke hopes his future is settled before leaving for the United States as his current deal runs out this summer.
Asked if he thought his situation would be clarified before they flew out, he said: “Hopefully. That would be the plan.
“I’m pretty sure it will be But let’s just talk about the squad, not me. I’m not important today.”