Iran says FIFA has approved World Cup base camp move from Arizona to Mexico

Iran’s is moving its base camp for the upcoming World Cup from Tucson, Arizona to Tijuana, Mexico, the soccer federation’s president said.

While FIFA has not confirmed the move, Mehdi Taj said that Iran received approval from soccer’s governing body to move locations as the country’s current conflict with the United States continues.

“All team base camps for the countries participating in the World Cup must be approved FIFA,” said Taj in a statement, via the Associated Press. “Fortunately, following the requests we submitted and the meetings we held with FIFA and World Cup officials in Istanbul, as well as the webinar meeting we had yesterday in the Tehran with the respected FIFA Secretary General, our request to change the team’s base from the United States to Mexico was approved.”

According to the federation, moving the base camp will avoid potential visa issues with the players entering the U.S. for matches through Mexico.

Iran was drawn into Group G with Belgium, Egypt and New Zealand and is scheduled to play its games at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California, and Lumen Field in Seattle.

Play 2026 Soccer Pick ‘Em with FOX One and make your picks for the world’s biggest soccer tournament

In March, Iran sought to have its World Cup matches moved from the U.S. to Mexicofollowing comments from President Donald Trump that discouraged the country from taking part in the tournament citing safety concerns.

FIFA said there will be no schedule changes as Mexico President Claudia Sheinbaum said the government was exploring the idea.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has stated several times that Iran will take part in the tournament following comments by Trump that he did not feel like it is appropriate for the country to participate.

When asked last month about Infantino’s comments, Trump said Thursday he was fine with Iran participating.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *