Dustin Poirier torches ‘punching bag’ Nate Diaz following MVP MMA loss – ‘He didn’t want to be in there’

LOS ANGELES, CA – AUGUST 03: (L-R) Opponents Dustin Poirier and Nate Diaz face off during the UFC press conference inside the Orpheum Theater on August 3, 2018 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images) | Zuffa LLC via Getty Images

Bad blood.

Mixed martial arts (MMA) legend Nate Diazsuffered a brutal doctor stoppage loss to BKFC star Mike Perry in the co-main event of MVP MMA 1: “Rousey vs. Carano” this past weekend inside Intuit Dome in Los Angeles, California.

While Diaz had a few flashes of success with his trademark volume boxing and pressure, the fight was largely dominated by Perry, who mauled Diaz with punches, elbows and knees before the cageside doctor waved things off due to severe cuts.

One person who definitely did not feel sorry for Diaz afterward was recently retired former interim Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Lightweight champion Dustin Poirier.

Poirier, who has tried to fight with Diaz dating back to 2018, absolutely unloaded on the Stockton native during an appearance on Paramount’s Deep Waters podcast.

“We could’ve fought. Nate knows that,” Poirier said. “I wish he would be honest with the fans and say that he pulled out or didn’t come to terms with the UFC or whatever it was for the couple times we were supposed to fight that it never happened.”

“But, dude, after the way he looked on Saturday night, he can’t talk right now man,” Poirier continued. “You need to take a break. He needs to go get some sleep and some rest. He looked like dog shit. He looked horrible. He looked like he didn’t want to be in there, looked like a punching bag. He looked off balance. His timing was horrible. When somebody loses, I don’t like to shit on them too hard, but he knows.”

Diaz actually mentioned Poirier during his post-fight interview after losing to Perry, joking about Poirier’s retirement from MMA — and apparently that struck a nerve.

“It’s crazy that he’s bringing me up in a post-fight,” Poirier said. “Apparently, he still wants the fight or is thinking about it. It’s just like, after a performance like that, it’s like I’m picking on somebody now if I’m chasing Nate Diaz, the way he looked.”

“It’s like I’m picking on an easy fight, easy win,” Poirier added. “But, Nate Diaz, I will knock you clean out if we fight.”

Despite officially retiring after his trilogy loss to Max Holloway last year in Louisiana, “The Diamond” admitted he would seriously consider returning if the UFC finally booked him against Diaz.

“My invitation is still out there,” Poirier said. “At 170, I’ll go back in the drug test protocol or whatever. I will knock Nate Diaz completely out.”

At this point, it feels like the rivalry between Diaz and Poirier may never fully die — even if the actual fight still somehow hasn’t happened after nearly a decade of callouts, canceled negotiations and mutual trash talk.

Still, after Diaz’s rough showing against Perry, fans may not exactly be begging for that matchup anymore.


For complete ‘Rousey vs. Carano’ fight card results, coverage, and highlights click HERE.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *