‘We’re a bunch of psychos’: Crashing is part of the job for Indy 500 drivers

INDIANAPOLIS – Putting a revolving panel of 33 race car drivers in front of dozens of reporters on and off over a couple of weeks might be as good a metaphor for the Indianapolis 500 as there is.

Every lap takes us closer to the finish, and although not every one is exciting there’s usually some captivating entertainment along the way.

Here’s a collection of some of the insightful and interesting comments – and some silliness – from media day ahead of the 110th running May 24 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Perspective on crashing from three drivers

After crashing during practice May 18 and undergoing a small outpatient procedure on his right ankle, front-row qualifier Alexander Rossi has been cleared to drive.

Not that there was a doubt in his mind.

“Unfortunately I’ve crashed twice here. Both times have been turn two,” Rossi said. “I recovered from that. I don’t see this being any different.

“We crash race cars. That’s part of the job description.”

Rossi needs crutches to get around because he can’t put weight on the ankle, but he was able to get in and out of his car, drive on the simulator and react to situations to the satisfaction of IndyCar medical officials. Rossi will have a brace on his foot, but was able to wear his usual shoe.

Before knowing for certain Rossi had been cleared, Conor Daly was asked about the drivers’ mindset in regard to injuries.

“We’re a bunch of psychos, honestly,” Daly said. “If you have this job, you’re very lucky to have this job, so you don’t want to let that go away at all.

“You’d have to rip his limbs off to have him not in that car.”

Pato O’Ward was caught up in Rossi’s crash and also will race a backup car.

At Indy, where qualifying laps average more than 230 mph, a high percentage of crashes are brutal, O’Ward said, and yet there cannot be any second-guessing.

“But after you have that first shunt, one, you definitely feel more like a man when you get back in it, and two, I feel like it just puts some reality into your head,” O’Ward said. “Like dude, you’re moving. You need to be aware of your surroundings, be careful who you’re running [around]. You do grow quite a bit. At least I did.

“I way much rather would be doing this than doing something else. … We are kind of risking our lives, but this is straight-up badass.”

The Penske-fication of Andretti Global

For the first time since 2009, two-time IndyCar series champion and 2018 Indy 500 winner Will Power is at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway with a team not named Penske.

Andretti Global is happy to have that experience at its disposal.

“There’s a lot of things that we’ve been able to kind of bounce off him to figure out exactly what we need,” said Andretti driver Kyle Kirkwood, who is again a title contender. “Fortunately with him coming in with his experience and his work ethic, it’s been a big push for our team because he’s like, well, these were the expectations when I was driving at the other place and we were winning races, so these are now the expectations now.

“I think it’s kind of pushed people along really, really nicely, and it’s been a really good atmosphere among the team with him involved and kind of pushing us. There’s been a lot of positives out of his tenure so far.”

During Power’s time at Penske, the organization has collected six of its 20 Indianapolis victories and five of its 17 series titles while Andretti won three 500s and one championship.

Don’t say the ‘r’ word

The weather forecast for the weekend and beyond leaves a bit to be desired.

After a long two weeks, most drivers and teams are ready to move on come late Sunday afternoon. In fact the full-time teams have to turn the page quickly. They’re on track in Detroit five days later. But not everyone.

“I’ll do it on Thursday, I don’t care,” said 33rd starter Jack Harvey, who has no more races on his 2026 driving schedule. “We have to extend this month as long as we can.”

Pick a finger

Times change. So do the gestures from angry drivers.

“The thumbs-up has become the new middle finger,” second-year starter Louis Foster said. “’I feel like maybe we’ve become a bit more politically correct over the years and gone to a thumbs-up.

“Which I think is even worse. If someone cuts me off when I’m driving, I don’t middle finger them, I thumbs-up them, ‘You’re a great driver, man.’ I haven’t seen anyone flip me off recently.”

That brings us back to Rossi and his injuries from his crash. In addition to the procedure he had on his right ankle, he suffered an injury to a finger on his left hand.

Which finger?

“I can’t show you that one,” he said. “I’ll get in a lot of trouble.”

Those other racing sausages

The “Weenie 500” featuring the six Oscar Meyer Wienermobiles was an instant hit in 2025, so naturally it is back. Last-row starter Sting Ray Robb is among the IndyCar drivers scheduled to serve as crew chiefs.

“I think the jokes write themselves,” he said. And indeed they do.

“You want to relish that opportunity, I guess,” responded IndyCar’s Dave Furst, the moderator.

“It’s good that you mustered the courage to get that pun out,” preceded the next question.

This article originally appeared on Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Alexander Rossi cleared to race; more from Indianapolis 500 media day

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *