LIV Golf laying groundwork for potential bankruptcy, according to report

LIV Golf is laying the groundwork to potentially file for bankruptcy, according to a report from Bloomberg. Last month, Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund pulled the plug on the five-year-old league, announcing a strategic pivot toward domestic programs and away from global ventures that had failed to generate returns. The cost of the experiment was an estimated $5 to $8 billion injected into LIV since its 2021 launch. Yasir Al-Rumayyan—PIF governor, LIV’s architect, and chairman of its board—resigned in the wake of the withdrawal. The league has since installed Gene Davis and Jon Zinman to lead a restructured board, describing them as “seasoned experts with proven track records for navigating complex situations and unlocking value for global organizations.” RELATED: LIV Golf is dying. The damage is permanent

Earlier this year, LIV CEO Scott O’Neil acknowledged that breaking even could still be a decade away. In a since-deleted comment on a LIV broadcast, he said the league had funding only through the end of 2026.

On Monday, Axios reported that LIV is now seeking $250 million in fresh investment, with O’Neil projecting profitability within two years, a sharp reversal from his earlier timeline. But Bloomberg’s reporting states the league is weighing a headquarters relocation to the United States to take advantage of its more favorable bankruptcy restructuring laws. LIV currently operates across multiple jurisdictions — the U.K., the U.S., and the island of Jersey—with its ultimate controlling entity remaining in Saudi Arabia. The U.S. is a preferred destination for foreign debtors because its bankruptcy framework shields companies from creditors in other jurisdictions who might otherwise seize assets or enforce judgments. In response to Bloomberg’s report, a LIV spokesperson told Golf Digest, “LIV Golf is firmly focused on securing a transaction that positions the organization for the long-term. As we begin presenting our go-forward business plan to prospective capital partners, we are focused on achieving a sustainable future and there are multiple pathways under active exploration. We continue to see great momentum on the course and with support through the 2026 season and a clear plan to raise capital, leadership is focused on identifying the right long-term strategic partners who believe in our mission to grow the game of golf worldwide. These conversations are just getting underway, and as they progress, the company expects to gain further clarity around the structure and timing of a potential transaction.”

As LIV faces an unknown future, Golf Digest has reported that agents for several LIV players have begun reaching out to the PGA Tour about paths back. Few are expected to receive anything resembling the unconditional exemption extended to Brooks Koepka. Those who joined LIV’s antitrust lawsuit against the Tour face a harder road still, with additional discipline a real possibility.

On the course, LIV has already postponed one event this season. Its marquee attraction, Bryson DeChambeau, missed the cut at the PGA Championship for the second consecutive major, although Jon Rahm and Cameron Smith both contended at Aronimink.

LIV Golf’s next scheduled event is in two weeks in South Korea.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *