The Rays, thriving on the field under new ownership, once again have initial local government approvals for a new ballpark. Now comes the tougher part.
The Tampa City Council approved a non-binding memorandum of understanding with the MLB club on Thursday for a $2.3 billion ballpark located on Hillsborough College’s Dale Mabry Campus. That ratification—following a council meeting lasting more than six hours in a packed City Hall—follows a similar move by the Hillsborough County Commission on Wednesday, and the prior formation of the MOU.
The city council vote was by a narrow 4–3 margin, raising potential issues in the future as the stadium project progresses.
With the latest moves, the Rays have a framework in place to build a ballpark and mixed-use development. The club would pay at least $1.3 billion toward the ballpark, along with all cost overruns, while the city and council would combine for a contribution capped at $976 million.
Next up in the current stadium development process is a series of public hearings toward drafting a binding agreement, as well as multiple financial and land-use reviews. The city council vote, however, suggests a possible need for further concessions from the team. Already, one council member who voted “yes,” Bill Carlson, signaled he would almost certainly oppose the final stadium project.
Another council member who voted for the MOU’s ratification, Naya Young, was similarly less than ironclad in her total support.
“To be clear, I am not saying I’m in favor of a baseball stadium,” she said. “What I’m saying is, ‘I’m willing to continue the conversation and fully unpack the possibilities.’”
Prior History
Close observers of the long-running Rays stadium saga are well aware that the franchise has been in a similar position before. Under prior owner Stu Sternberg, the Rays had in place a public-private deal to build a $1.3 billion ballpark in St. Petersburg, Fla., very near the club’s current home, Tropicana Field.
Sternberg walked away from that deal early last year, though, citing subsequent delays that raised the cost of the project. Soon after, Sternberg sold the team to a group led by Jacksonville developer Patrick Zalupski.
The latest iteration of the ballpark project, modeled in part after The Battery in Atlanta, would add to a busy area that also includes the nearby Raymond James Stadium, home of the NFL’s Buccaneers, and Tampa International Airport.
“The Tampa City Council today sent a strong and positive message to our community by approving the non-binding memorandum of understanding and saying ‘yes’ to a Forever Home ballpark and the generational transformation for Tampa Bay that will follow,” the Rays said in a statement.
Rays CEO Ken Babby spoke before the council Thursday, and in addition to his own plea to “not send the Rays out of Tampa,” relayed comments made to him by MLB commissioner Rob Manfred.
“We are in the late innings of a very long game with the future of baseball in Tampa Bay hanging in the balance,” Babby said of Manfred. “We have faith in Tampa Bay as a major league city.”
Despite a $108.8 million luxury-tax payroll that is the third-lowest in MLB, the Rays have been a breakout story in the 2026 season, posting a 33-15 record through Wednesday’s games that is the best in MLB.
The post Rays $2.3B Stadium Plan Survives Narrow Tampa Council Vote appeared first on Front Office Sports.